Macaroni and Cheese Recipes: Chicken Macaroni Casserole2013-05-12
Average Member Rating
(4.9 / 5)
10 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 40m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat193
I love macaroni and cheese recipes. This version is just a bit different. It adds chicken to the mix.
There is something about the mixture of macaroni with gooey cheese that hits the right note all the time. The addition of the chicken provides a lean protein and adds great taste to the macaroni casserole.
I think you’ll like this one.
Chicken and Cheese Macaroni Casserole
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 1/2 cups cooked macaroni (about 1 cup dry)
- 1/4 cup buttery cracker crumbs
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Sauté the onion in butter in a large skillet until tender. Add the soup and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook over medium heat until the cheese melts. Stir in the chicken and macaroni.
Pour the mixture into a greased 2 1/2 quart casserole. Sprinkle the top with the cracker crumbs.
Bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with the remaining cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Vary the soups you use if you wish. Try cream of celery or cream of broccoli for a different flavor, or try one can of cream of chicken and one can of cheddar cheese soup. Talk about cheesy!
- Add 1/2 cup frozen peas to the pot when you add the chicken and macaroni for added vegetable nutrition.
This is one of those easy Campbell’s soup recipes that is quick to put together and tastes delicious.
Just add a large salad and dinner is complete and ready to go.
This is a great way to use up leftover chicken. You can also use a store bought rotisserie chicken. On a busy day, it’s a great head start on dinner.
I love tweaking recipes to suit what I have in the cupboard or what I am in the mood for.
Look above for more suggestions on how to change things up a bit. This recipe is fantastic with peas or cooked broccoli added to it. Now it’s a one pot dinner – a favorite of mine.
Want to be the first to know about new recipes and articles on Cookingnook.com? Sign up here for site updates and never miss a great recipe.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave your own recipes to share below.