Believe it or not, this delicious meatball recipe gets some of its great flavor from beer!
Use a bottle of your favorite beer, along with some cheddar cheese and a few other ingredients and you have meatballs with a savory sauce everyone will love.
Vinegar is a common ingredient in this kind of recipe. Not only does it give the recipe a nice tartness, but it also adds tenderness to the meat.
The brown sugar adds a slightly sweet note.
The recipe is perfect served over cooked noodles but you can certainly serve it with mashed potatoes too.
It is a great easy dinner recipe for any night of the week, it’s also perfect for game day or on a holiday or Super Bowl party buffet.
Saucy Meatball Recipe with Beer Sauce
- 2 slices white bread, crumbled
- 12 ounces beer
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded old, or swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon beef flavoured bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- hot cooked noodles
- Soak the crumbled bread in a 1/2 cup of beer. Add the ground beef, cheese, salt and pepper, mixing well. Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Cook the meat balls in the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until browned. Drain the meat balls on paper towels, pour off the pan drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in the skillet. Add the onion and sauté until tender, add the meatballs, beer, sugar, vinegar and bouillon. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and water, mixing well. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the skillet. Bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Serve over noodles.