This really is an easy mushroom salad. You don’t even need to cook the mushrooms.
The recipe just calls for mushrooms. You can use either white or brown button mushrooms or even a mix of both. See more tips below.
The dressing calls for sugar, but for me the sugar is optional. I would taste the mixture before you add the sugar, unless you like your vegetable salad dressings sweet. I personally leave it out.
Try to buy the smaller button mushrooms. That way you can leave them whole and they will look lovely in the finished salad. If your mushrooms are large, I would at least cut them in half so each piece isn’t a huge bite.
The red wine vinegar give the salad a well rounded flavor when it is paired with the olive oil. You can substitute other vinegars if you want.
An Easy Fresh Mushroom Salad
- 1 pound mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into very thin rings, then halved
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs, finely chopped, see notes below
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, (optional)
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a jar with secure lid. Shake well. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms and stir gently until everything is well coated. Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
- For the fresh herbs, use your favorites. Parsley and chives work well together. Garlic chives work well too if you want to add a hint of garlic flavor. Fresh basil or oregano, mixed with parsley, work well for an Italian flavored mushroom salad. Tarragon is perfect for a more French flair.
Notes and Tips:
This salad can be eaten the next day, but I think it is best served the day it is made.
Here are some serving suggestions for this great fresh mushroom recipe. I would serve this salad:
- any time, with grilled meat, especially grilled steak or other cuts of beef.
- at a summer picnic or barbecue
- on a buffet table, any time of year
- as a tasty part of a vegetarian meal
- any time you want to add a fresh and easy salad to your meal
Mushrooms are very good for us. They are low in calories and carbohydrates. They are a good source of potassium, iron, and contain a surprising amount of protein.
If you are looking for gluten free recipes, diabetic recipes or low carb recipes, include this wonderful mushroom salad recipe in your menu. It is perfect for all of these diets.