This easy to make buttermilk pancake recipe is absolutely fabulous!
I don’t know how I missed using buttermilk in pancakes for so long but it makes an amazing difference. They turn out light and just the right texture.
The buttermilk adds just a slight bit of tartness to the pancake that works really well with your favorite syrup.
The buttermilk not only adds fantastic taste to the pancakes. It also makes the pancakes very tender.
A good homemade pancake recipe like this one makes it easy to create great restaurant style breakfasts right in your own kitchen.
I think you will really like this recipe.
Making something from scratch, like this pancake recipe, is always healthier than a boxed mix. You know exactly what is in the recipe and there are no preservatives or fillers.
Buttermilk Pancake Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, or oil for frying
- Stir the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Beat the eggs until they are light and fluffy. Stir the buttermilk into the eggs. Fold this into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Add the melted butter and stir well.
- Heat your skillet or griddle until it is quite hot. Add a little fat, and when it is melted, pour off any excess. Cook the pancakes (1/2 cup batter per pancake) until golden on each side.
- Keep the pancakes warm in a low oven while you cook up the rest of them. These pancakes are wonderful served with a bit of butter and your favorite syrup.
Makes 8 – 10 pancakes.
- Add a few tablespoons of sugar if you want a sweeter pancake, but you will probably find it isn’t necessary.
- For extra nutrition and taste, add fresh blueberries, chopped walnuts or slices of banana to the batter.
- Top the pancakes with a mix of fresh seasonal berries.