I love easy pasta sauce recipes and this one is a real winner.
A 30 minute meal start to finish, this vodka sauce is quick, tasty and good enough for company.
The use of vodka in pasta sauce may sound odd, but it gives the sauce a unique extra bit of flavor. The addition of cream, smooths it all out.
You will notice that the recipe calls for a teaspoon of sugar. Many cooks, even Italians, use a bit of sugar to soften any acid taste from the tomatoes. It mellows the sauce just a bit.
I think you will love this pasta alla vodka sauce so much you will want to add it to your list of favorite pasta sauce recipes. Let me know what you think.
Pasta with Vodka Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, crushed, with basil
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- cooked pasta, fettucine, spaghetti or penne all work well
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the oil for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until just beginning to get tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, vodka, sugar, salt and pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream. Heat just until hot.
- Serve over cooked pasta with grated parmesan cheese.
- Don’t forget to salt the pasta cooking water when you are boiling the pasta. The cooking water needs to be well salted or no matter what you do later or how good your sauce is, it will all taste bland. The rule is that the water should be salty enough that it tastes like the sea.
Note that the nutritional values for this recipe are for the sauce alone. The pasta, rice or quinoa you serve it over would add nutrients.