Luscious peach crisp is one of the nicest ways to use fresh peaches in season.
The base is simple, just fresh peaches with a bit of lemon juice to keep them from changing color.
The topping is a sweet mix of oats with brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and flour. It bakes into a nice crispy topping, which is why they call is a “crisp” I guess.
You can make this any time of year but it does seem to taste best when fresh sweet peaches are at their ripest and best in mid to late summer.
You can also use drained canned peaches if you really need to.
Fresh Peach Crisp
- 8 peaches
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, not instant
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and slice the peaches (see note below to peel peaches easily). Place the sliced peaches in an 8" square or round baking dish and sprinkle them with lemon juice.
- Combine the topping ingredients and mix until crumbly. Press gently over the fruit and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the fruit is tender and top has browned.
- If the peaches are not sweet add a bit of brown sugar to the peaches as well. If they are sweet you don’t need it.
- To easily take the peel off the peaches, put a small cut in the bottom of each peach. Blanch them in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Lift them out and put into cold water immediately. The skins should peel off easily with a small knife.