Luscious peach crisp is one of the nicest ways to use fresh peaches when they are in season.
This is a perfect summer dessert. Peaches are one of my favorites summer fruits and it is such a treat when we get to enjoy them during that short period when they are at their sweet, luscious peak.
The base for this peach recipe is simple, just fresh peaches with a bit of lemon juice to keep them from changing color. If you think the peaches need an extra bit of sugar, just add a few tablespoons and mix it in well.
If the peaches are nice and sweet, I like to just leave them as they are.
You can also use drained canned peaches if you really need to. Fresh is definitely better though.
The topping is a sweet mix of oats with brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and flour. It bakes into a nice crispy topping, which is why they call is a “crisp” I guess.
You can make this any time of year but it does seem to taste best when fresh sweet peaches are at their ripest and best in mid to late summer.
Fresh Peach Crisp
- 8 peaches
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, not instant
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel and slice the peaches (see note below to peel peaches easily). Place the sliced peaches in an 8" square or round baking dish and sprinkle them with lemon juice.
- Combine the topping ingredients and mix until crumbly. Press gently over the fruit and bake for 35-40 minutes, until the fruit is tender and top has browned.
- If the peaches are not sweet add a bit of brown sugar to the peaches as well. If they are sweet you don’t need it.
- To easily take the peel off the peaches, put a small cut in the bottom of each peach. Blanch them in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Lift them out and put into cold water immediately. The skins should peel off easily with a small knife.