Pico de gallo is a Mexican condiment. It is a fresh salsa type topping that is served in many ways.
When you read over the recipe you may think I forgot the oil but no. This is not supposed to be a salad. Simply fresh flavors, kicked up with chilies and a squeeze of lime.
For those of you who haven’t tried it yet, I think you will love it.
It is a very healthy recipe full of ingredients that bring so many nutrients to the table. It’s low fat, low sodium and relatively low carb too, so enjoy as much as you want.
Did you Know?
I wonder if you know this little tidbit of information. I didn’t until recently. The words pico de gallo actually mean “rooster’s beak” in Spanish. How they thought this wonderful mixture of flavors looks like a rooster’s beak I don’t know, but it is a wonderful fresh topping.
This pico de gallo recipe can be served as an accompaniment to meat and fish dishes. You can also use it to top tacos, burritos and enchiladas.
It is a wonderful condiment that fits into most special dietary needs: If you need gluten free recipes, diabetic recipes or low carb recipes, look to this pico de gallo to top your Mexican recipes.
Mexican Pico De Gallo Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 3 tablespoons jalapeno chilies, minced & seeded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste, optional
- Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper if you choose. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Top with more chopped cilantro to serve if you want.
This recipe serves 10 as a condiment type topping.