This is a delicious pizza crust recipe that is not too difficult to make.
Everyone loves pizza and has their favorite pizza recipes, whether they make it homemade or order in.
I have included lots of suggestions for sauces and pizza toppings.
These are all the traditional toppings for pizza, and of course today your imagination is the only thing that limits you. You can make your pizza Mexican style or bring in the flavors of the far East. Anything that tastes good to you works!
My personal favorite is to use no sauce at all. Just dot the pizza crust with olive oil and sprinkle it with Italian herbs like oregano and basil.
Of course I add my favorite toppings plus lots of cheese and bake until bubbly and delicious.
Sliced tomatoes go well on this type of white pizza crust base, as it gives that nice tomato taste without all the sauce.
An Easy Pizza Crust Recipe
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Soften yeast in luke warm water for 10 minutes.
- Place sugar, salt, shortening and boiling water in a large bowl, stir until sugar and shortening dissolve. Cool to lukewarm. Add yeast mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and beat until smooth. Add remaining flour or enough to make dough just barely firm enough to handle.
- Knead until smooth on a lightly floured board. Divide in half. Knead each piece into a smooth ball. Flatten each ball on to a lightly greased round or rectangular pizza pan. Press out to spread the dough around the pan, creating a slight rim round the edge. Let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF.
- Brush the dough lightly with olive oil. Add your favorite toppings (see our suggested list below).
- Bake for 8-12 minutes. The edges will be a nice golden brown when it's done.
- Makes one large size pizza crust (exact dimensions depend on how thick or thin you roll out the dough.
Cheese of course – anything that melts well like mozzarella, but also try asiago, parmesan, cheddar, brie (but I would use a different sauce for brie, maybe a creamy sauce)
Sliced green, red, orange and yellow peppers
Sliced onion, white or red
Sliced green or black olives
Cooked chopped bacon
Chopped cooked ham
Cooked ground beef
Sliced hot peppers
Cooked sliced chicken
Sun dried tomatoes
Marinated artichoke hearts
A fried egg