This poppy seed cake recipe is a lovely and light cake that’s quite easy to make.
It makes a great coffee cake and is perfect to serve as dessert, a snack or a tea cake. It’s one of my favorite easy cake recipes.
This cake freezes well too, so bake a few when you are in the mood and you can have it at the ready whenever you need (or want) a little something sweet. I let it cool fully, then slice it up and wrap the slices individually. That way you can take as many slices as you need (or want!) any time.
The cake is not too sweet either so it is perfect with a cup of tea or after a meal.
It is an easy cake recipe that makes a thoughtful hostess gift too.
Poppy Seed Cake
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, or orange rind
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease a 10 inch bundt or tube pan. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar, on high, for 1 minute. Beat in egg yolks. Add flour alternatively with buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks form (not too stiff). Gently fold into flour mixture with poppy seeds. Spread in prepared pan. Bake at 325°F for 55 minutes or until top springs back lightly.
- Cool for 45 minutes in the pan before turning out. Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.