This old fashioned potato salad is made with a boiled dressing. You don’t see that as often these days but it is quite good.
The sauce is creamy with a bit of kick from cider vinegar and turmeric, but is nice and rich too with the bit of butter that is added.
I love it with the vegetable additions I suggest below.
Old Fashioned Potato Salad Recipe
- 4 cups potatoes, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch turmeric
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Cook the potatoes whole, with their skins on. When they are cooked and cooled, peel the skins off with a knife and cut them into small cubes.
- In a heavy saucepan or top of a double boiler mix the sugar, flour, dry mustard, salt and turmeric. Stir together well. Whisk in milk, egg yolk and vinegar.
- Cook the mixture over a saucepan of simmering water or in a double boiler, over medium heat, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the butter. Let the mixture cool, stirring often. The dressing will keep thickening as it cools.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and mix lightly until thoroughly combined.
Makes 6 servings.
- You can add 1/4 of a red pepper, finely chopped if you would like. Add it to the potatoes before you add the dressing.
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped, plus 1/2 onion finely chopped are also nice additions. Add them when you would add the pepper.
Subscribe to the site here and never miss a great recipe.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.