This is a very healthy pumpkin bread recipe.
Filled with ingredients like ground flax seeds, cranberry juice, fresh cranberries and whole wheat flour, you just know this is a great snacking cake for kids.
The pumpkin cake or bread is baked in a bundt pan for easy preparation. It is also filled with wonderful spices that will make your kitchen smell divine as it bakes.
I think you will love this one.
Pumpkin is a very healthy vegetable and one that we eat far too little of.
It is also wonderful baked into sweet treats like this pumpkin bread or pumpkin muffins. It makes snack time much healthier than some other alternatives.
Pumpkin is a rich source of Vitamin A, a powerful anti-oxidant which is essential for good vision. It also contains good amounts of Vitamins E and C, and no cholesterol or saturated fat.
I love that this recipe uses whole wheat flour, so much healthier than white flour.
Altogether, good reasons to find more ways to incorporate pumpkin into healthy diets.
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup flax seeds, crushed
- 2 cups pumpkin, pureed or canned
- 1 cup honey, or brown sugar
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup cranberry juice
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ground flax seeds.
- In another large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, honey, oil, cranberry juice and eggs.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the moist ingredients, then add the walnuts, raisins and cranberries. Pour the cake batter into a greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick or other tester comes out clean.
- Makes 12 to 16 servings.
- A preheated 350°F oven is equal to a 180°C heat.
- Don’t want to add fresh cranberries? Use dried cranberries in this pumpkin bread recipe, or replace them altogether with extra raisins. You can also replace the cranberries with other dried fruit like dried blueberries or cherries.
- You can buy ground flax seeds in any health food store. No need to grind them yourself.
- The version of the pumpkin cake shown in the image has a brown sugar glaze on it. If you want to add a glaze like this, Martha Stewart’s version is here.
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.