Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes:
Traditional Turkey or Chicken Cobbler
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
4 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 4:000 h
- Ready In : 4:30 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat131
Slow cooker chicken recipes are some of the most delicious easy recipes around.
Similar to a chicken stew, tender chunks of turkey or chicken are bathed in a creamy sauce surrounded by succulent vegetables, with a delicious topping to soak it all up.
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) dried tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) each salt and cracked black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine (or see Tips below)
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken stock
- 8 ounces (250 g) mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 4 cups (1 L) cubed (1/2 inch/1 cm) skinless boneless turkey or chicken breast (about 2 lbs/1kg)
- 2 cups (500 mL) sweet green peas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 mL) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) olive oil
1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks, carrots and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, tarragon, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add wine and stock and cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes.
2. Place mushrooms and turkey in stoneware of a large (approximately 5 quart) slow cooker and add leek mixture. Stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 3 1/2 hours or on High for 1 3/4 hours. Stir in peas and whipping cream.
3. Topping: In a bowl, combine whole wheat and all-purpose flours and salt. Make a well in the middle. In a cup or bowl with a pouring spout, combine baking soda, buttermilk and olive oil. Pour into well and mix until blended. Drop batter by spoonfuls over hot turkey mixture. Cover and cook on High about 45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If you are halving this recipe, be sure to use a small (2 1/2 to 3 quart) slow cooker.
- Instead of the white wine, substitute an extra 1/2 cup chicken stock, plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice, if you prefer.
- If using chicken breasts, reduce cooking time to 3 hours on Low or 1 1/2 hours on High.
- You could also use skinless boneless chicken thighs, which cook for as long as the turkey.
- To Make Ahead: Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate mixture for up to 2 days. When you’re ready to cook, complete the recipe.
Make sure your slow cooker is turned to High before adding the topping. Otherwise it is likely to be soggy.
Did You Know?…
This delectable recipe comes from a wonderful cookbook called Slow Cooker Comfort Food: 275 Soul-Satisfying Recipes.
It is filled with comfort food made in the crock pot and crockpot chicken recipes are some of my favorite easy weekday dinner recipes. Of course this recipe makes a fantastic Instant Pot recipe too.
Great to make ahead, just do a little prep, pop it all in the crockpot or Instant Pot, and voilà, a fantastic meal is ready hours later with little extra work on the cook’s part.
Turkey or chicken cobbler is one of those dishes many of us remember from our childhood.
As a nod to the contemporary, the author has included tarragon and a splash of white wine, but the spirit of old-fashioned goodness still remains.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.