When I says spicy green beans for this recipe, I don’t necessarily mean hot.
This green bean recipe brings the exotic flavors of India to common, every day green beans and carrots. Indian vegetables are often not hot, just really savory with wonderful spices.
I love green bean recipes. I so seldom do anything to green beans but eat them, so it’s nice to find another way of serving them.
Indian vegetable recipes are usually wonderfully healthy and this one certainly is. It just has a few simple spices added to it, but they really amp up the flavor.
If you like things spicy you certainly can add your favorite hot sauce.
Indian Spicy Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans
- 2-4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots, thinly sliced or julienned
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or less, to your taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or 2, to your taste
- Cut the beans into 1 inch diagonal slices.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Sauté the mustard seeds until they begin to "pop". Add the vegetables, cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Mix in the seasonings, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve.
Serves 4 to 6.
This is a great recipe in general, but it is particularly good for those who need special diets. It is gluten free for those who need gluten free recipes, great for those who need diabetic recipes and low carb recipes. Plus the rest of us will just really like it.