Spicy Butternut Squash Soup2013-07-15
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
7 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 50m
This information is per serving.
Squash soup is delicious, but for me it needs something to kick it up. This recipe for butternut squash soup really delivers on that front!
Lucy T from York who originally submitted this yummy soup recipe calls this a “Winter warmer, with a kick!”
It has a kick from chilis, plus great spices and a bit of cream to pull it all together. Great recipe.
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 1/4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup double or single cream or Creme Fraishe
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
Fry the chopped garlic and chili. Add the other chopped vegetables. Add ALL the seasonings except the fresh coriander. Cook for a few minutes for the vegetables to partly soften - keep stirring.
Add the stock and leave to boil for approximately 20 - 30 minutes. Take the pot off the heat and blend the soup (using a hand blender or food processor) to create a creamy soup.
Add the cream and fresh coriander and serve.
- To make this recipe gluten free, make sure the stock is gluten free.
- You can replace the butternut squash with another variety of winter squash. Pepper squash, among others, would work just as well.
Squash is an underused vegetable for most of us, and we all know it is important to “eat a rainbow” of foods. This squash soup is a great way to do just that.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment and your favorite recipes below.