Squash soup is delicious, but for me it needs something to kick it up. This recipe for butternut squash soup really delivers on that front!
Lucy T from York who originally submitted this yummy soup recipe calls this a “Winter warmer, with a kick!”
It has a kick from chilis, plus great spices and a bit of cream to pull it all together. Great recipe.
Squash is an underused vegetable for most of us, and we all know it is important to “eat a rainbow” of foods. This squash soup is a great way to do just that.
Spicy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 1/4 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup cream, or Creme Fraishe
- Fresh cilantro to garnish, optional
- Fry the chopped garlic and chili. Add the other chopped vegetables. Add ALL the seasonings except the fresh coriander. Cook for a few minutes for the vegetables to partly soften - keep stirring.
- Add the stock and leave to boil for approximately 20 - 30 minutes. Take the pot off the heat and blend the soup (using a hand blender or food processor) to create a creamy soup.
- Add the cream and fresh coriander and serve.
- To make this recipe gluten free, make sure the stock is gluten free.
- You can replace the butternut squash with another variety of winter squash. Pepper squash, among others, would work just as well.