This steamed fish recipe is called Mediterranean style because it steams the fish with the flavors of recipes from the countries in that region of the world.
With onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, just a hint of garlic and a few seasonings, this fish recipe is not only simple and delicious, it’s good for you too.
Healthy recipes that taste as good as this one, make healthy eating much easier.
The recipe calls for either water, fish stock or white wine for steaming the fish. Water certainly works but either of the other two options will add fantastic flavor.
Although thicker, firmer fish like rock fish, cod and haddock work best for this dish you can use thinner fish too.
Thin fish fillets, like sole, can be rolled and set on end over the vegetables. Check your cooking time as thin fillets may cook much faster than one thicker piece of fish.
Mediterranean recipes often pair fish with tomatoes. It’s a tasty and healthy combination.
This is such a healthy fish recipe. Steaming the fish rather than frying it is perfect. And the added vegetables are all wonderfully healthy for us. This recipe would work perfectly for a low carb diet, as part of a healthy Mediterranean diet, a diabetic diet, a gluten free diet, or for someone who just wants to eat healthy.
I think you will really enjoy this fantastic healthy recipe.
Steamed Fish, Mediterranean Style
- 2 cloves garlic, split
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup water, fish stock or dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds fish fillets, rock fish, cod, haddock or thicker, solid fish
- Cook the garlic in oil in a large skillet until golden. Discard the garlic. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook until tender but not browned. Add the parsley, tomatoes, water, oregano and salt. Simmer uncovered until some of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the fish into serving pieces and arrange over the vegetables. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Subscribe to the site here and never miss a great recipe.
This steamed fish recipe is great served with our rice pilaf.
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.