Sticky Buns Recipe2013-05-20
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
7 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 15 buns
- Servings : 15
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 45m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat325
Most of us love sticky buns, or cinnamon buns, those luscious rolled sweet buns with cinnamon layered inside.
Ever thought of making them at home, but the thought of taking all day was just too much?
Well this recipe comes to the rescue. This easy cinnamon buns recipe is made with store bought fresh pizza dough!
Easy Sticky Buns
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped, divided (or pecan halves)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 1/2 pounds pizza dough, store bought or make your own
In a small saucepan, melt 3/4 cup of the butter with 3/4 cup of the sugar over medium heat. Pour into a greased 9"x13" baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the walnuts, set aside. Stir together remaining butter, sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and orange zest.
Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to make a 12"x18" rectangle. Sprinkle with the walnut mixture. Starting at the long side, tightly roll up the dough, pinching the seam to seal it. With a serrated knife, cut the formed log into 15 pieces. Place in the prepared dish, cut side down. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes or until the dough is golden and the tops sound hollow when tapped. Let stand for 5 minutes. Invert onto platter to serve.
Makes 15 sticky buns.
- Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries to the walnut mixture.
- Of course, if you can’t eat or don’t like walnuts, leave them out or substitute pecans.
- Holiday time? Arrange the buns into the shape of a Christmas tree for a festive holiday breakfast or brunch treat.
- Instead of vanilla in the glaze, you can vary the flavor with a few drops of liquid flavoring (a few drops ONLY as it is very concentrated), 1/4 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, or even rum.
- Add extra walnut halves or pecan halves to the sticky side of the buns as shown in the image above.
The dough is the most time consuming part of making cinnamon buns but with this easy sticky bun recipe it is all made for you. Just press the dough out, add your filling and roll it up.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.