This sugar cookie recipe is sure to be a hit with family and friends.
Although they make great Christmas cookies, sugar cookies are a delicious year round treat too. just about everyone enjoys them.
These cookies are so versatile. You can use your favorite cookie cutters to create great shapes to suit the season or the theme.
Leave them plain or add colored icings, sprinkles and decorations to create a variety of beautiful cookies.
Or – just bake them and enjoy.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter. Add sugar to it gradually and beating each time. Add egg yolk. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Add vanilla.
- Chill dough thoroughly. Roll out on to a lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/4". Cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 375ºF for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of finely chopped or orange or lemon zest to the batter for a nice citrus taste.