Taco soup is an easy to make tummy warming treat.
Although hot soup on a cool day is an especially welcoming pleasure, this soup will be welcomed any day and in any weather.
This is an easy tortilla Mexican soup recipe that takes the flavors of our favorite tacos and puts them into a soup.
I love soup recipes because of their easy preparation and their flexibility. For example, I have added a can of kernel corn to this recipe for extra nutrition, color and texture. If you prefer you can leave it out, or add your own favorite ingredients.
Slipping in another vegetable always ups the nutrient content.
This amazing but simple taco soup recipe is one your family will love.
Can’t get the kids to eat their veggies? Chop them up finely and add them to this soup!
I hope you enjoy it.
Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 1 - 16 ounce can tomatoes
- 1 - 16 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 - 4 ounce can green chiles, optional
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 can corn, kernels, with juices
- 1 - 16 ounce can pinto beans
- 1 - 16 ounce can kidney beans
- 1 package taco seasoning mix, or make your own. See below
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup taco chips
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Brown ground beef with onion and garlic. When well browned, add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve topped with grated cheddar cheese, taco chips, and a dollop of sour cream.
Tips and Variations:
- If you are really short of time, just cook the soup for 30 minutes. I find that letting it simmer for that extra half hour blends all the tastes together even better, but it still works well in just 30 minutes.
- Substitute ground chicken for an even lower calorie soup.
- Using reduced sodium taco seasoning helps cut down the sodium content of this recipe.