This Thai spicy tofu recipe comes from a wonderful cookbook called Complete Book of Thai Cooking: Over 200 Delicious Recipes.
The perfection in this recipe is the mix of the blander flavored tofu, plus the carrot and asparagus mixed with the spicy chilies.
Of course you can vary the amount of heat to suit your taste buds by simply adding more or fewer chilies to the recipe.
The author of the cookbook this recipe came from, Linda Stephen, has spent years travelling through Thailand and teaching Thai cooking. Her knowledge of Thai cuisine shines throughout the book and certainly in this recipe.
Vegetarians will love this recipe, plus anyone who just wants a change from the ordinary. You can certainly add meat to it if you really want to. A bit of cut up cooked chicken would work well.
This is a very healthy recipe. The only ingredient that isn’t healthy is the sugar and you can certainly cut that out. The bit of sugar does round out the flavors though so you may want to use a touch.
Spicy Tofu Recipe with Vegetables
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 12 ounces firm tofu, patted dry, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut in matchstick pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1/2 inch thin strips
- 1 cup asparagus, sliced, or green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 1/2 teaspoons red chilies, chopped, fresh
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons (25 mL) oil. Add tofu and stir-fry for 4 minutes, turning carefully, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Add remaining oil to wok. Add shallots and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add carrot, red pepper and asparagus and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, lime juice, chilies, sugar and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Return tofu to wok and cook for 1 minute, or until combined and heated through.
Deep-fried Tofu Recipe:
Cut 12 ounces (375 g) of firm tofu into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes. Pat very dry.
In a wok or deep saucepan, heat 13/4 cups (425 mL) of vegetable oil to 350°F (180°C). Add tofu in batches and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with homemade or store bought sweet chili sauce.
Serves 3 or 4 as an appetizer or snack.
This recipe works for those needing diabetes recipes, gluten free recipes and low carb recipes.