Tomato Basil Soup Recipe: 2013-05-22
Italian Tomato Bread Soup
Average Member Rating
(4.3 / 5)
10 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 55m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat52
The mix of olive oil, garlic, basil and tomatoes in this traditional tomato basil soup recipe is really delicious.
The addition of dried or toasted bread turns this classic soup into Italian tomato bread soup.
It is one of the best and easiest Italian soup recipes you will find.
Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 5 - 1/2" slices Italian bread (ideally stale), crusts removed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and juice reserved or 1 - 35 ounce can Italian plum tomatoes, diced and seeded, juices reserved
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- salt and black pepper
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
Preheat the oven to 375°F (only if you are using fresher bread).
If the bread is stale, just set it aside. If it is fresh, arrange the bread slices on a baking sheet and toast until they are light golden brown. Watch carefully so they don't burn. Remove and set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it is golden, about 6 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and their juices to the pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the toasted bread and stock and return to a boil. Season lightly with salt and pepper and adjust the level of heat to a simmer.
Cook, uncovered for about 40 minutes. After 30 minutes add the basil leaves. Whisk occasionally to break up the pieces of bread. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Serve with extra virgin olive oil drizzled over.
- If you want a smooth soup, remove the garlic cloves and basil leaves. Then pulse it all in a blender until it is the consistency you desire.
The idea of a bread soup sounded very strange when I first heard of it, and I am part Italian!
Strange as it sounds, the taste is absolutely marvelous.
Soup recipes are such warm and comforting foods and this one brings the taste of Italy right to your kitchen.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment at the bottom of the page.