There can be quite a debate about the best turkey stuffing recipe. We all have our favorite.
This is a recipe for a delicious traditional turkey stuffing.
I have provided ideas for a few wonderful additions and twists too. Sometimes I stick to tradition, sometimes I choose to shake it up a bit.
For many of us this type of stuffing is the one we remember from the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner tables of our pasts.
Others are looking for new ideas to create that perfect turkey stuffing that will become their family’s favorite holiday memory.
Any way you do it, this savory turkey stuffing recipe always tastes great.
The Best Turkey Stuffing Recipe
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 14 cups white bread, dried, cubed
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over a medium heat. Fry onions and celery together with the dried herbs, salt and pepper, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a very large bowl. Add the bread cubes and mix well.
- If you are making the stuffing ahead: Transfer the cooked vegetable mixture to a large bowl. Let cool and refrigerate in an airtight container for 24 hours. Mix with bread cubes before stuffing the bird.
- Stuff the turkey at both ends with this mixture. (see our Roast Turkey Recipe for directions on stuffing the bird).
- IMPORTANT: Stuff the turkey just before baking it. Do NOT stuff the bird ahead and let it sit, even in the refrigerator. It can become infected with bacteria and make you quite ill.
- Add 1 cup fresh chopped parsley for extra fresh herb flavor.
- Replace 1 cup of the celery with a cup of chopped fennel. Fennel has a mild licorice flavor that will add a bit of a twist to our traditional turkey stuffing.
- A delicious addition! Add 1 to 2 cups of chopped fruit to the mix. Chopped apples, chopped dried apricots, raisins, currants or blueberries (yes, blueberries) are all amazing added to herbed turkey stuffing. Try it once and you’ll be hooked.
Subscribe to the site here and never miss a great recipe.
Whether you are cooking Thanksgiving turkey, a special Christmas turkey or an every day “there’s no special reason, we just love turkey” turkey, a great turkey stuffing recipe is a must.
Now that you have the best turkey stuffing recipe in hand, you need a place to use it! Look here for our roast turkey recipe with gravy.
Don’t forget the cranberry sauce.
Not sure what to do with all those turkey leftovers? Find some great ideas here.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. You can also add a comment below. Thanks so much.
3 thoughts on “The Best Turkey Stuffing Recipe”
Looks delicious ! Is there no broth or liquid in this ? Thanks
No broth. This is a stuffing that gets cooked in the bird, so the juices from the turkey add the moisture that you need for great stuffing.
Use potato for stuffing mix -anyone got good recipe?
Gretl, from nova scoyia