If you are looking for new ways to cook potatoes, this is a tasty mashed potato recipe with sausages and sauerkraut that may be one to try.
It was originally submitted to Cookingnook.com by Marja from Quebec,Canada.
Marja says this about her sausage, potato and sauerkraut recipe: “Instead of sausages you can also use some leftover beef, but sausages is the best.”
Add a bit of grainy mustard to the potatoes if you want. It adds a nice taste.
Sauerkraut and Potatoes
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound sauerkraut
- 2 onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound bacon, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 to 6 sausages
- 1/2 cup milk, or more as needed
- Boil the potatoes and sauerkraut together.
- In the meantime, fry your onions and bacon. In a separate frying pan, fry your sausages. When the sauerkraut and potatoes are done, mash them together with some butter and milk. Add the onions and bacon and stir until it is a nice smooth consistency.
- Put this mixture in a casserole dish or other serving dish. Then you have an option, to either slice the sausages on top of the casserole or serve them separately.