Average Member Rating
(4.1 / 5)
12 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 1 loaf cake
- Servings : 10
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:10 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat64
This applesauce cake is a sweet loaf recipe.
Some might call it an apple bread, as in quick bread, but whatever you call it, it is absolutely delicious.
The applesauce in the recipe adds sweetness while cutting down on the amount of sugar in the recipe and keeps the cake nice and moist.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Mix the first 5 ingredients together. Mix the next 5 ingredients together separately. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Lightly grease a loaf pan. Place the mixture in the pan and bake for 1 hour.
Make it Healthier:
You can always make this cake even healthier. Here is how:
1. I have already lightened up this recipe. The original recipe called for a brown sugar and cinnamon topping on the cake. That is delicious but the cake is very good without it.
2. Cut down on the sugar called for in the recipe. I would use 3/4 cup of sugar instead of 1 cup.
3.Replace 1/2 of the white flour with whole wheat flour. If you sift the whole wheat flour it will still be a nice light loaf.
- For lower fat baking, try substituting unsweetened applesauce for the oil in loafs and cakes. The taste is about the same and the fat content is cut considerably.
Did You Know?…
These kinds of easy cake recipes are wonderful to bake, then freeze for later use.
I sometimes slice the loaf ahead of time, wrap it well with a couple of layers of plastic wrap and freeze.
When you need a bit of cake just take it out by the number of slices you need and thaw. No need to thaw the whole loaf if you don’t need it all.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks.