Mashed Potatoes Recipe – How to Make Classic Mashed Potatoes2013-05-12
Average Member Rating
(3.7 / 5)
3 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 30m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat38
This is a classic mashed potatoes recipe.
Mashed potatoes must be the ultimate comfort food for most of us.
- 6 medium potatoes
- large pot of salted water
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup hot milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or amount to suit your taste
- pepper to suit your taste
Peel potatoes and cut into chunks about 2 inches in size. Place in large pot of salted water (at least 1 teaspoon of salt in the water) and boil 15 minutes or until potatoes break easily when pierced with a fork.
Drain potatoes well but leave them in the pot.
Add hot milk, beginning with the smaller amount. Add butter. Mash with potato masher and add more milk, butter, salt and pepper if necessary to suit your taste.
Tips and Variations:
- Warming the milk before you add it to the potatoes is best as it results in a very creamy potato. To make life easy, what I sometimes do is add the milk to the drained potatoes in the pot, let it warm on the hot stove, then add the butter and mash.
- To make a herbed mashed potatoes recipe add a few tablespoons of your favorite chopped fresh herbs after the potatoes are mashed. Finely chopped chives are delicious. Basil, parsley or finely chopped thyme work well too.
Did You Know?…
Pair it with one of our easy meatloaf recipes for a delicious comfort food dinner that will take you back in time.
I don’t know about you, but when I think meatloaf, I automatically think mashed potatoes.
This recipe will please even the pickiest eater.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.