This chili sauce recipe has so many uses.
You can obviously use it as a relish on hamburgers or hot dogs. How about flavoring your next meat loaf with some of this sweet chili sauce? Or serve it as a side sauce with beef or pork.
Did You Know?…
You can even eat this chilli sauce with tortilla chips as a change from salsa.
The mix of tomatoes, peppers, pickling spices and seeds is married with a little honey which cuts the savory nicely and adds a touch of sweetness to the recipe.
This is a perfect canning recipe for that time in the summer when tomatoes are at their peak and are both plentiful and lower priced.
You may want to make a few batches, because it’s bound to be a hit.
Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
- 10 pounds tomatoes, medium
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups green pepper, chopped
- 2 hot peppers, small, minced (optional)
- 1 cup honey
- 3 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups vinegar, 5% acidity
- Peel, core and chop the tomatoes. Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, honey and salt in a large Dutch oven. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Tie the pickling spices, celery seeds and mustard seeds in a cheesecloth bag. Add the bag to the tomato mixture. Simmer for another 45 minutes, uncovered, stirring often.
- Stir in the vinegar. Simmer another 2 hours, uncovered.
- Remove the spice bag. Quickly spoon the sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch of head space. Cover immediately with metal lids and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes.
- Makes 3 pints.