This chili sauce recipe has so many uses.
You can obviously use it as a relish on hamburgers or hot dogs. How about flavoring your next meat loaf with some of this sweet chili sauce? Or serve it as a side sauce with beef or pork.
Did You Know?…
You can even eat this chilli sauce with tortilla chips as a change from salsa.
The mix of tomatoes, peppers, pickling spices and seeds is married with a little honey which cuts the savory nicely and adds a touch of sweetness to the recipe.
This is a perfect canning recipe for that time in the summer when tomatoes are at their peak and are both plentiful and lower priced.
You may want to make a few batches, because it’s bound to be a hit.
Sweet Chili Sauce Recipe
- 10 pounds tomatoes, medium
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups green pepper, chopped
- 2 hot peppers, small, minced (optional)
- 1 cup honey
- 3 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 cups vinegar, 5% acidity
- Peel, core and chop the tomatoes. Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers, honey and salt in a large Dutch oven. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Tie the pickling spices, celery seeds and mustard seeds in a cheesecloth bag. Add the bag to the tomato mixture. Simmer for another 45 minutes, uncovered, stirring often.
- Stir in the vinegar. Simmer another 2 hours, uncovered.
- Remove the spice bag. Quickly spoon the sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch of head space. Cover immediately with metal lids and screw on bands. Process in a boiling water bath for 35 minutes.
- Makes 3 pints.
Subscribe to the site here and never miss a great recipe.
This lovely chili sauce is just one of our delightful jam, jelly, relish and pickle recipes. Find the collection here.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. You can also share a comment below Thanks so much.