I am not a big fan of peppers, but I do love grilled peppers.
When the weather is warm and the grill is used in full force, we look for fantastic vegetable side dish recipes for picnics, barbecues and everyday easy dinner recipes.
The marinade recipe combines healthy olive oil with lemon juice and a bit of Worcestershire sauce for tangy flavor.
This pepper recipe looks even more wonderful on the plate if you use a variety of colorful peppers – red, green, yellow, purple and orange.
If you like things hot, you can do two things. You can add a bit of your favorite hot sauce to the marinade recipe or you can also add a few of your favorite hot peppers. Any hot peppers work well, like jalapeno peppers.
The mix of sweet and hot peppers will add a bit of spice to the meal.
If you really like it hot, use all hot peppers in the recipe. Really make sure though that everyone who will be eating these grilled peppers like things as hot as you do, or it will be very uncomfortable, and possibly inedible, for them.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 - 8 peppers, assorted colors look best
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and set aside. Cut the peppers into 2 or 4 pieces. Place the pieces on a plate and season them. Pour the marinade over the pieces and marinade for 15 minutes.
- Oil the grill and set it to medium heat. Cook the peppers over medium heat, turning often and basting occasionally until they are softened and the skin is blackened in spots.
- If you like it hot, add a few drops (or as many as you like) of hot sauce to the marinade.
- See the notes below for another way to spice it up a bit with hot peppers.
- If you like, you can remove the skin from the peppers before serving them.
Serve this tasty vegetable recipe as a side dish with grilled beef or chicken. It’s also a great vegetarian recipe. It’s very healthy too. Peppers have lots of nutrients in them that are of great benefit to us.
I always try to remember that it is best to eat a rainbow of food colors for great health.
This recipe works well on so many special diets. It is a wonderful gluten free recipe, low carb recipe and diabetic recipe.