This delicious ham loaf recipe is a great way to use up any ham leftovers.
It is combined with ground fresh pork plus egg, milk and bread crumb in the traditional style of a meat loaf.
The ham adds a wonderful taste to the meatloaf.
Recipes for leftover ham, or any leftovers for that matter, are always a hit with me because they take great tasting food and use it in a slightly different way.
It is a great way to keep your family from being bored with leftovers.
Savory Ham Loaf Recipe
- 3/4 pound ham, ground
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 onion, small, chopped fine (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, fine
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard, to taste (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Grind the ham using a food processor or put it through a meat grinder. Mix the ground ham thoroughtly with the fresh ground pork, beaten egg, milk, bread crumbs and pepper. Shape the mixture into 2 smaller loaves or one large one and place them in a shallow baking pan.
- You may want to try smearing the tops of the loaves with a bit of honey mustard before baking (or hot mustard if you prefer). Not too much though, as it is a very strong flavor.
- Bake for 1 hour or a bit more if necessary to cook the pork and brown the loaves.
- You can also replace the honey mustard with an equal amount of tomato sauce to top the meat loaf.
- For individual ham loaves make the recipe as indicated above, but shape ham mixture into 4 tiny loaf pans and bake for 40 minutes.
- Use Italian flavored bread crumbs for a bit of added taste.
- If you really want to kick up the nutritional content, add more vegetables. Try adding finely chopped green or red pepper. They also add a bit of color. Corn kernels also work.