This is a delicious hash brown potato casserole recipe that I first received from my friend Vera when I was looking for easy party potatoes.
So naturally I call them Vera’s Potatoes.
They are so delicious that they get eaten completely every time I serve them!
This easy potato casserole is perfect for guests, on a buffet table or a take along to a pot luck dinner.
Hash Brown Potato Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds hash brown potatoes, frozen
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups corn flakes, or other plain cereal, like Special K
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Mix the potatoes, onions, soup and sour cream together in a large bowl. Place mixture in a greased 11"x7" casserole dish.
- Crush the cereal a bit. Spread a thin layer of cereal on the top and dot the top of the casserole with bits of butter. Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese evenly over all.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- Vary the recipe by using any cream soup you like. Make it a vegetarian potato casserole recipe by using cream of celery soup for example. Cream of mushroom is a bit too strong for this recipe I think, but that’s my opinion. You may love it.
- Make it a lower fat recipe by substituting low fat soup and sour cream. I would suggest using regular cheese, as low fat cheese will not melt the same.
- If you want you can add 1/2 cup of chopped red or green sweet peppers to add color and flavor, as in the image above.
If you are not feeding a group, or aren’t looking for leftovers (they make amazing leftovers), you can easily make 2 square casseroles instead of 1 large one, and freeze the second. That way it’s an easy dinner recipe any night of the week.