Looking for a healthy muffin recipe for that both you and your family will love?
This oat bran muffin recipe fills the bill, with whole wheat flour, oat bran bits of apple, skim milk and raisins.
There is very little sugar used in this recipe – just a couple of tablespoons plus a touch of honey.
This is a VERY healthy muffin recipe. The kids will love this muffin recipe and so will you.
Apple Oat Bran Muffin Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups oat bran
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine the oat bran, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Mix together well and set aside. Combine the juice, milk, egg, oil and honey. Add the flour mixture, apples and raisins and stir until just moistened.
- Spray the muffin tins with a non-stick spray coating. Fill the tins 2/3 of the way up and bake for 20 minutes or until they are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Makes 12 muffins.
Makes 12 muffins.
Tips and Variations:
- Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts for extra crunch and even better nutritional value.
- Do not overmix the muffin batter! When you add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix them together only enough to make sure everything is moistened. Overmixing produces a less tender muffin.
Oat bran is a very healthy ingredient and great especially for diabetics. It has been shown that oats and oat bran can help control blood sugar. That makes this recipe, also with little sugar, a good diabetic recipe.
Of course, diabetics can adjust this recipe by replacing the little bit of brown sugar with something like Stevia, or coconut sugar, both natural sweeteners.