This a delicious lemon pudding cake recipe.
I love those packaged cake mixes with the lovely runny pudding under the cake crust.
It always seemed that it would be difficult to make, but it really isn’t at all.
The recipe as given makes 4 servings, but can easily be cut in half to serve just 2 or multiplied to serve a larger group.
Cake recipes like this are such wonderful comfort food.
This one has the sweetness of cake, but bubbling below is a lovely sweet tart lemon sauce.
It is not a difficult recipe to make but does take about 50 minutes to bake, so if time is a bit of an issue, make it first, then cook the rest of your dinner while dessert is baking.
Lemon Pudding Cake Recipe
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the lemon rind, juice, egg yolk and milk. Beat the egg white until it forms stiff peaks. Fold it into the juice and egg mixture.
- Pour into 4 3" custard cups or a small round baking dish. Set the custard cups or baking dish in pan of hot water 1" deep. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold, with or without whipped cream.
- Add a few fresh blueberries to the batter before putting into the baking dish, then decorate with more berries to serve (as shown above).