This macaroni salad recipe is just a bit different.
It adds a few vegetables for extra nutrition and crunch and some grated cheddar cheese because – well who doesn’t love cheese?
Macaroni salad is one of everyone’s favorite summer salad recipes. Try this version.
Cheesy Vegetable Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 8 ounces macaroni, uncooked
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook the macaroni in well salted water according to the package directions. In the last minute or two of cooking time add the frozen peas. Drain and cool.
- Stir together the remaining ingredients. Mix the cooled macaroni into dressing mixture and stir well to coat the macaroni thoroughly and evenly.
- Chill the salad until you are ready to serve it.
Serves 6 to 8.
Tips and Variations:
- You can also add 1 carrot, grated, for extra color, nutrition and flavor.
- Macaroni salad tastes best if the flavors have had a chance to meld a bit so I always make it a few hours ahead and chill it.
- The microwave also works well to cook the peas. Just add a tiny bit of water to the peas and cook on medium for a few minutes. Drain and cool.
- Add 1 – 7 ounce can of tuna, well drained, for added taste and protein.
Make it Healthier
Make this macaroni salad even healthier by using whole wheat pasta instead of regular white macaroni. Just cook the whole wheat pasta fully to make sure it isn’t too “toothy”.