Tuna and macaroni salad recipes are part of almost every North American picnic or BBQ menu and are a great addition to a pot luck table.
We’ve got your basic, ordinary macaroni salad recipe here, which is never really ordinary to me and never goes out of style. I think everyone I know loves plain old fashioned macaroni salad.
We also have a variation for those who want to try something a bit different. One recipe adds cheese and veggies, another gives a bit of a kick to the traditional favorite.
Try one, or try them all, and see which one your family likes the most.
Macaroni Salad Recipes
- 8 ounces macaroni, uncooked
- 7 ounces canned tuna, well drained
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pimento, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
- Cook macaroni in well salted water according to package directions. Drain and cool.
- Combine cooked macaroni, tuna, celery, onion and pimento in a large bowl. Blend together mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and salt in another smaller bowl. Pour this dressing over the macaroni and mix well.
Makes about 6 servings.
- Add more fiber by using whole wheat macaroni. You may find you want to cook it just a bit longer than the package states if you are not used to whole wheat pasta.
- Add a variety of vegetables to the basic macaroni salad to kick it up and add nutrients. Shredded carrots or very finely chopped broccoli work well. Try a few and see what your family likes.
- Got kids? Try using a variety of pasta shapes instead of the traditional macaroni. Wagon wheels or other fun shapes may make the kids give it a try.
- A variety of pasta shapes works for adults too. Don’t feel you have to stick to the same old macaroni shape.
- Again for kids, try chopping the vegetables very very finely if your kids are not veggie eaters. They may not even notice the good things are in there.
Here is a fabulous basic macaroni salad recipe. Basic doesn’t mean it lack of taste. It’s yummy.
Basic Easy Macaroni Salad Recipe
1 – 8 ounce package macaroni
3/4 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 – 7 ounce can tuna, well drained and flaked
Cook macaroni according to package directions in well salted water. Drain and let cool.
When cooled, add in the mayonnaise, celery and tuna. Mix well and chill until ready to serve.
This version of our macaroni salad recipes adds veggies and cheese. It’s got a nice taste difference.