These oven roasted potatoes are almost like an oven version of home fries.
They are absolutely delicious and so easy to make. I make them often, especially when I am using the oven to bake something else.
If your potatoes have a nice thin skin, you can leave the skin on and just scrub them. If not, it may be best to peel them.
Either way they will taste great.
There are no absolute amounts to this recipe. Use as many potatoes as you need, season them to taste and add enough oil to moisten them before baking. That’s it!
This easy potato recipe is perfect to bake alongside anything else that may be in your oven. You can vary the temperature a little if needed, but I wouldn’t lower it too much.
Lowering the baking temperature would cause the potatoes to come out softer, without that nice crust on the outside. The hotter oven temperature also means the potatoes won’t absorb the oil very much.
They can take being cooked at a bit of a higher temperature, although you would need to keep an eye on them and shorten the cooking time.
When they are crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside, they are done.
These roasted potatoes go well with so many things – most beef or chicken recipes, ham, hamburgers or pork. They would also be a tasty part of a vegetarian meal.
Make sure you preheat the oven first, or the potatoes will absorb the oil – more calories, less crispness.
Oven Roasted Potatoes
- 4 baking potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl, toss the potatoes with the oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 60 minutes at 375ºF or until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
- Serves 2 to 4, depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Add more flavor with herbs. Fresh snipped rosemary or chives will add lots of great flavor to the potatoes. Choose your favorite. I use dried rosemary. The oil you add to the roast potatoes moistens the rosemary nicely.
- This recipe multiplies easily to serve as many as you need.
- Add chunks of onion to bake alongside the potatoes if you wish. It adds another nice savory flavor to the dish.
- It is very important to preheat the oven first and not put the potatoes into a cold oven. Preheating ensures the potatoes will turn out crispy on the outside and not absorb the oil.
If you love these oven roasted potatoes, you will probably also like this oven baked vegetables recipe too.
Find more potato recipes here.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
1 thought on “Oven Roasted Potatoes”
These comments have been transferred over from the previous version of this site:
Cheesy Garlic Pan Potatoes
(north hatley qc cdn)
Boil 6 potatoes until soft. Mash and add 5 cloves of garlic. (Mince the garlic in olive oil and add to the potatoes.)
Add 1 tbsp olive oil,tsp sea salt. tsp cracked pepper 2 beaten eggs, then 1 can chedder cheese soup. If it is too moist add more potato or some bread crumbs.
Put into a cast iron fry pan and bake at 450 until hot and bubbly and brown. Take out let cool, easier to handle. When completely cool, place on a plate this will dry it up. When ready to eat warm up in oven slice into pie wedges and serve and enjoy, always a hit..