Tartar Sauce Recipe2013-05-21
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 1 cup
- Servings : 8 to 10
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 10m
Tartar sauce is that great white sauce that you get on the side when you order fish and chips.
The recipe below is a bit more of a gourmet version, but you will see ways to change it to suit you in our “Tips and Variations” section below.
Classic Tartar Sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion, grated
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped or 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cajun seasoning to your taste (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix everything together and add salt and pepper to taste. The fresh dill is nice, but the traditional tartar sauce we see all the time has the little flecks of real pickle in it.
Tips and Variations:
- If you prefer a sweeter sauce (I do), substitute 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish for the dill pickles and omit the fresh dill.
- If you want a more basic sauce, feel free to leave out the capers, fresh dill and cajun seasoning. Gourmets may disagree with me, but if you are looking to achieve the taste of the tartar sauce we all grew up with, you can certainly leave them out.
I am not sure why, but this sauce does seem to be a perfect condiment for the fish, especially battered fish.
Tartar sauce is a mayonnaise based sauce. Just add a few simple ingredients and you have a wonderful easy sauce.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.