This is a lovely tomato relish recipe.
It combines tomatoes with onions and peppers for a bit of savory flavor, plus spices and brown sugar to add a nice note of sweet.
It is great on hot dogs, hamburgers and sandwiches.
This relish is a perfect summer condiment recipe. If you have access to lots of tomatoes at the end of the summer, you will want to give this recipe a try.
It makes you want to start a garden just to make lots of this recipe!
- 16 pounds tomatoes, medium
- 12 onions, medium, finely chopped
- 3 red peppers, finely chopped
- 3 green peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups vinegar, 5% acidity
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- Peel, core and chop the tomatoes. Combine the tomatoes, onions, peppers and salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium. Cook, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and reduce the heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until thickened.
- Quickly pack into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Cover immediately with metal lids and screw on bands.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.
- Makes 12 - 1 pint jars or 24 - 1/2 pint jars.
- To process in a boiling water bath you will need one of those graniteware canners with the metal insert to keep the jars from bumping into each other. Place the jars in the canner, bring the water to a boil and boil for the length of time given, usually 20 minutes for this kind of recipe.