Whole Wheat Pancake Recipe2013-05-25
Average Member Rating
(4.8 / 5)
10 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat85
This is a nice, light whole wheat pancake recipe.
Gently fold the beaten egg white into the batter recipe and you will have an easy pancake recipe that is both healthy and light.
Look below the recipe, in the Tips section, for a few other tips to add even more healthy goodness to this whole wheat pancake recipe.
Whole Wheat Pancakes
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Combine the skim milk, egg yolk, oil and brown sugar in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix it all together just until it is blended. You do not have to get rid of every tiny clump of flour.
Beat the egg white by hand or with a mixer until peaks form. Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter. Heat the oil in a skillet, pour in batter until you get the size pancakes you want. Fry the pancake until bubbles appear on the top side, then turn it and fry on the other side until it is a light brown.
Serve with your favorite syrup, with berries on top or with jam or applesauce. All good.
Notes and Tips:
- Don’t skip the part of the recipe that calls for the egg to be separated and the egg white beaten. It really makes these pancakes nice and light.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to serve 4.
- Add blueberries to the pancakes. After you pour the batter into the frying pan, dot the pancake with fresh blueberries while it is cooking. Top with more fresh blueberries to serve them.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter. The cinnamon not only adds a nice taste to the pancakes, it also may help to lower blood sugar levels, so is perfect for diabetics.
- You can replace the milk in this recipe with almond milk or soy milk. I prefer the almond milk myself.
Did You Know?…
Whole wheat flour is denser than white flour because it still has the outer bran attached. It could cause things like this homemade pancake recipe to be heavier than regular pancakes.
This recipe gives you nice light pancakes, in spite of using the heavier whole wheat flour. The secret?
Instead of adding the egg to the pancake batter whole, separate it and beat the egg white before adding it to the recipe.
When you beat the egg white until it forms soft peaks you are adding air to the egg, which lightens the texture of the pancake.
You can make it even lighter by sifting the whole wheat flour before you use it.