Average Member Rating
(4.3 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
- Prep Time : 4:20 h
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 4:40 h
This zucchini relish is a nice condiment for summer barbecues, outdoors or in.
It works wonderfully as a hot dog or hamburger relish, but try it on grilled beef or chicken too.
You can also use it in place of cucumber relish in meat salads like ham salad or corned beef salad, mixed with a bit of mayonnaise.
See the notes below about removing the excess seeds before chopping the zucchini.
- 6 pounds of zucchini (seeds removed - see Note below)
- 3 - 4 onions
- few carrots
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 3 - 4 celery stalks
- 3 tablespoons coarse salt
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
Put the vegetables through a food processor. Add the coarse salt and let it stand for 4-6 hours. Drain the mixture.
Boil the cider vinegar, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed and sugar along with the ground vegetable mixture. Thicken with the cornstarch mixed with a little vinegar.
Bottle and seal while hot.
- If your zucchini are small you won’t have to remove the seeds, but if they are those huge babies fresh from the garden, the middle will probably be too seedy. Just scoop or cut out the middle, seedy section and chop the rest.
- The new recommendation from health officials is that this recipe should be boiled in a boiling water canner for 30 minutes. Just follow the directions on your canner.
Did You Know?…
This is the perfect recipe to use up zucchini when it is so plentiful at the end of the summer that people with gardens will beg you to take them.
The only thing about using the larger zucchini is that they can have a lot of seeds in the middle. You just need to scoop them out as stated in the directions above.
Give this one a try. It is a wonderful way to bring that taste of summer to the kitchen all year long.
I think you will like it.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.