Tomato Soup Recipe2013-05-22
Average Member Rating
(3.6 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 12m
- Ready In : 17m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat23
Our recipe for creamy tomato soup is so easy you will wonder why you settled for canned soup for so long.
I have included a bit of dried Italian seasoning as an option in this recipe, but you can simply leave it out if you want a more traditional homemade tomato bisque or soup.
I think you will love it.
Tomato Soup Recipe
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 - 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
In a medium saucepan, combine the garlic, onion, and oil. Cook over medium-high heat for 1 or 2 minutes to soften and flavor the oil. Add the tomatoes with juice, broth and sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender. Return to the pot and stir in the milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
Tips and Variations:
- Add 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning for an Italian style tomato soup. Add it right at the beginning as you cook the garlic and onion.
- This is a delicious traditional tomato soup recipe or tomato bisque. You can use this as the base for a vegetable soup as well. Just add a few vegetables at the same time that you add the tomatoes to the pot. Cook for a bit longer if the vegetables need it.
- Add more garlic if you are a garlic lover. This recipe tastes wonderful with 3 or 4 cloves of garlic too. If you don’t like garlic feel free to leave it out.
- For a vegetarian soup, replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock or broth.
- As with most soup recipes, this one can easily be doubled if you need a larger batch.
This is one of our healthy soup recipes. The garlic and tomatoes are actually both on our list of the 10 healthiest foods to eat.
This soup is gluten free and also a wonderful diabetes recipe. It is fairly low in carbs and quite healthy. Omit the sugar for a diabetic recipe.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.