This is a fabulous tasting burger recipe, mixed with a bit of salsa for extra flavor.
The hamburgers get even more Mexican flavor with the addition of a touch of cumin. I love the warm, earthy flavor of cumin.
The burgers already have some cheese in them, but of course you can never have too much cheese, so add more on top if you want.
This recipe makes 4 hamburgers but can very easily be multiplied to serve as many people as you like.
If you like things hot, add a few drops of hot sauce to the hamburger mixture before it is cooked. You can also add 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion to the meat mixture.
To make this recipe even healthier replace the lean ground beef with ground chicken or turkey.
This is a perfect summer burger recipe, topped with more salsa and your favorite burger toppings.
Salsa Burger Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or black pepper
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs, fine dry
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, or Swiss cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, optional
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together with the salsa and seasonings. Stir in the bread crumbs. Add the meat and mix together until it is all blended. Mix in the cheese.
- Shape the meat mixture into 4 burgers, each about 4 inches wide and 3/4 inch thick.
- Place the burgers on a greased grill about 4 inches above hot coals. Cook 6-8 minutes per side. Or heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan set over medium low heat. Add the burgers and sauté uncovered, about 8 minutes per side.
Top with a slice of cheese if you want just a minute or two before the burgers are done.
Makes 4 servings.
I have included this burger recipe in our list of healthy diabetic recipes. I love the addition of the salsa for flavor and added nutrition. Ideally, for a diabetes diet recipe, omit the bun and serve the burger with lots of great toppings and a large salad. Have a whole wheat bun if you can handle the carbs.